Two Wheels Good CC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragon Ride

+2
nick
ciron
6 posters

Go down

Dragon Ride Empty Dragon Ride

Post  ciron Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:45 am

OK so quite a few of us have entered the Dragon it seems.

As many of you know, I have access to accommodation in the area, assuming my Gran is still around. Here's the info from the old forum.

--------

My Gran has a house (she is currently in a nursing home) in the Rhondda Valley, which is part of the route. It's at the bottom of the valley after the Rhigos and just before the Bwlch climbs near Treorchy. It's a bit of a distance frm the start and finish, but probably quite a tempting place to stop before the final climb (the Bwlch).

See http://streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=296920&y=195910&z=1&sv=296920,195910&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf &ax=296920&ay=195910

There are two single beds, a double, and a sofa bad (I think), but it could sleep more in the lounge. I've checked with my parents and they are happy for people to us it, and possibly more important, don't want any money other than for the electricity.

Only downside is the lack of any really good pubs, although there are some OK ones a short walk away. Oh, and I might come along to watch the suffering and go off road in Afan Argoed (just the other side of the valley), if there is any space in the car.

Let me know if you fancy it.

------

So far James, Kelvin, Nick and John have all asked for places (I think). Can you confirm so I can let others know if there's any room, or rather floor.

ciron

Back to top Go down

Dragon Ride Empty Re: Dragon Ride

Post  nick Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 am

Yeah, that sounds about right, it's the 4 of us.

Are you not doing it, Ciron?? Rolling Eyes
nick
nick

Back to top Go down

Post  ciron Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:59 am

Hmmm now I wonder who has chosen the delightful moniker Prisonbitch?

Yes, I'm entered, but my post might be slightly confusing as it was cut and paste from two years ago. If someone is desperate to do the ride and not got an entry, then I could be persuaded to go mountain biking instead and wait for you lot at the finish line with a bottle of degreaser.

ciron

Back to top Go down

Dragon Ride Empty Dragon Ride

Post  Emily Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:53 am

Hi,

I think there are three of us for definate and possibly one more. Not sure yet, so think we'd book a hotel or something, as it might get a bit overcrowded at Ciron's Gran's place. Maybe we can arrange to meet up for a drink somewhere afterwards...??

Emily

Emily

Back to top Go down

Post  ciron Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:56 am

So I guess we might see you out one Sunday then!

ciron

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Sat May 24, 2008 5:14 am

Hi

Nick has twisted my arm to join you guys on the Dragon ride.

And, I have a car, so I'll offer anyone a lift who needs it. Any accommodation plans sorted yet?

Let me know...

Greg

Greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Just to confirm, I hope were still good to stay at your gran's place Ciron.

I have a sleeping bag and camping mat, so have no need of a bed.

Also I will be driving and can take one passenger + bike.

How are we going to do this, will you coming with us Ciron? Hope to see you and the other Dragon Riders next Sunday 8th for the last bit of serious training.

Jonathan

Jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  ciron Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:43 am

Hi Jon

I'm still coming and will be travelling up with James. I'll sort out a map and instructions on how to get to the house next week - bit of a rush to leave work now and get off to Bristol for a race this weekend.

We (Jame, Kelvin and me) won't be out on Sunday as we'll be still in Bristol.

Have a good ride.

Oh, can those staying please confirm. I know James, Kelvin, Jon, Nick, and Neil are coming. Are there more?

ciron

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:03 am

ciron wrote:Hi Jon

I'm still coming and will be travelling up with James. I'll sort out a map and instructions on how to get to the house next week - bit of a rush to leave work now and get off to Bristol for a race this weekend.

We (Jame, Kelvin and me) won't be out on Sunday as we'll be still in Bristol.

Have a good ride.

Oh, can those staying please confirm. I know James, Kelvin, Jon, Nick, and Neil are coming. Are there more?

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:13 am

ciron wrote:Hi Jon

Ciron

If there's place, I'd like to join you too.
And I repeat the offer of a ride in my car from London for anyone that needs it - let me know. Space for 2 more

Cheers
Greg

Greg

Back to top Go down

Post  nick Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:29 am

Cheers guys, good to see everything coming together.

I'm going with Neil, so I think that just leaves Kelvin to sort out a ride but plenty of options from the sound of things.

I'm going to bring a sleeping bag, does anybody maybe have a spare inflatable mattress? Otherwise I'll take a trip to Argos, I think.
nick
nick

Back to top Go down

Dragon Ride Empty rides

Post  hometown china Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:25 am

i'm going with ciron and james in the rover.

on air mattresses... even if i had one, i would not lend it to you as you would break it!

hometown china

Back to top Go down

Post  nick Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:05 am

oh c'mon, I only break things when I ride on them. maybe I should bring my girl along... bounce
nick
nick

Back to top Go down

Post  ciron Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:06 am

So what are you going to break on your bike during the ride?

PS: make sure you bring a spare chain, you kno what you're like.

ciron

Back to top Go down

Post  ciron Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:15 am

Sorry for the delay in getting more information to you all for Saturday - I'm waiting to speak to my Mum about food options.

The address of the house is 39 Pleasant Street:

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|pleasant%20street#map=51.65218,-3.49228|17|4&loc=GB:51.65218:-3.49228:17|pleasant%20street|Pleasant%20Street,%20Pentre,%20Mid%20Glamorgan,%20Wales,%20CF41%207

There are a few no entry roads in the streets nearby, so I recommend taking Queen Street from the main road down to Baglan Street and then left up Pleasant Street. The house is just opposite the park near the end of the road.

There are two beds and a sofa bed. Kelvin has reserved one of the beds and the others can be argued over on Saturday. Just in case, can everyone bring a sleeping bag and thermorest or bedding roll.

This is the route from my Nans to the start:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1981469

I seem to remember it takes around 30 mins to drive and it forms part of the route (two descents) so it's usefull to see.

I'm getting a lift with James and I believe we're aiming on getting there for around 6pm. I'll be speaking with my Mum later on about restaurants in the area and will post what I find later today. There is of course a kitchen at the house, but it might be a little small for us all to prepare food there.

As for breakfast, bring what you want, I'll get some milk. There's usually tea and coffee.

More to follow

ciron

Back to top Go down

Post  ciron Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:54 am

OK latest update.

Food options:

A Fish Called Rhondda, unsurprisingly it's a fish and chip shop, and walking distance form the house.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|CF41%207ED#map=51.64751,-3.4891|16|4&loc=GB:51.64636:-3.4888:16|CF41%207ED|CF41%207ED

Red Cow pub, again walking distance but not sure what the food is like. 01443 773 032 to book a table.

Castell Mynach pub & restaurant just off the M4 at

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|CF72%208NH#map=51.52023,-3.35866|16|4&loc=GB:51.52149:-3.36072:16|CF72%208NH|CF72%208NH

Again not sure what it's like, but my Mum seemed to think it might be OK.

Otherwise, there should be more places in Pontypridd including a Domino's pizza, La Creperie, and the Royal Oak.

Finally, you could just get an oven meal and cook it at the house. There's also a microwave.

Let me know your thoughts.

ciron

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:18 am

For Saturday evening oven meals would be fine, I was thinking for myself pasta and ragu sauce etc. If any one fancies some of this for carbo loading let me know and i will bring more.

Re sleeping, I have an old bag and mat.

Jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  ciron Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:21 am

OK cool

What time do you think you'll be aiming to arrive?

I'm not sure when James wants to aim for - he has family committments in the morning.

ciron

Back to top Go down

Dragon Ride Empty anybody want to do a last minute Dragon?

Post  hometown china Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:55 am

patrick that rides with us has just informed me that he is not going anymore and thus has a space for any one that wants to come. I asked lyndall if she wants to come, feel free to ask anybody else, patrick said he doesn't mind.

kelvin

hometown china

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonathan Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:30 am

ciron wrote:OK cool

What time do you think you'll be aiming to arrive?

After lunch some time, not certain how long it will take to get there, but around 4 - 6pm.

Jonathan

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks for all the info - its great!

Me, Neil and Nick will proably be coming in one car (if I can get my roof-rack to work!). We may decide to leave London earlier in the morning and spend the afternoon exploring the valleys, but we should arrive around 6ish.

We'll all bring sleeping bags and mats Sleep

Greg
07775 932 963

Greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down